We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. To read more about our affiliate program click here
I have fallen in love with doodle art, more commonly known as Zentangle. The idea behind Zentangling is that you learn to create simple repetitive patterns then integrate those patterns into a completed art piece. It can be very calming for the spirit and mind to sit and draw repeated patterns. It also exercises the creativity muscles as you learn new patterns as well as decide what patterns will work well together for each piece.
What I do is more Zentangle inspired than a true Zentangle. I like to take a quote or an image and add patterns to it for additional visual interest. In addition you can add color and/or shading for more dramatic results.
Zentangle Supply Starter Set
Getting started in Zentangle is easy and inexpensive. You can google “Zentangle pattern step out” and get tons of free instructions on how to draw the different patterns. As far as supplies paper and a black pen are really all you need to get started. Here is what I personally started with.
- Sakura 8 Piece Sigma Micron Set
- Royal and Langnickel Sketching Pencils
- Koh-I-Noor Woodless Colored Pencils
- Basic Printer Paper
More Zentangle Supplies
As I’ve gotten more into it I’ve purchased a few more supplies and books to add to what I can do. As I am trying to incorporate thoughts, quotes, and motivational sayings into my work I have also started learning about modern calligraphy.
- Strathmore Bristol Smooth and Vellum Paper
- Derwent Watercolor Pencils
- Koh-I-Noor Wooden Pen Holder with Cork Grip with a Nikko G Flex Nib and a few other assorted flex nibs that I haven’t tried yet.
- Spencerian Handwriting Theory and Copy Books
- Kuretake Black Sumi Ink
- Modern Calligraphy Book
- Sharpie Fine, Extra Fine, and Ultra Fine markers
- One Zentangle a Day
- Pencil Drawing Techniques 4 in 1 set
- Tangled Up!
- Arteza Fineliner Pens
- Pentel Arts Water Brush Set
- Arteza Real Brush Pens
- Sakura Koi Coloring Brush Pens
Of course my wishlist never ends as well! These are the supplies I would love to try out and add to my collection.
- Pro-Art Portfolio with Sketch Board
- Dr. PH Martin’s Bombay India Ink Set 1 and Set 2
- Derwent Inktense Colored Pencils
- Art Alternative Hard Cover Sketch Book
- Tombow Dual Pen/Brush Art Markers
- Akashiya Watercolor Brush Pen Set
- Copic Markers
- Staedtler Pigment Liner Sketch Pens
- Totally Tangled Tangle Cards
- Brush Lettering Book
- Creative Lettering and Beyond
I may or may not have just added a few of these things to my Amazon cart while making this post. Shhh I won’t tell on you if you don’t tell on me!
I also like to do Zentangle doodle drawings digitalls. On the computer I use a Wacom tablet. I create in Photoshop using the AWESOME Grut brushes and art surfaces.
On my iPad I use Procreate once again wtih the amazing Grut brushes. I also have few other brushes I got from Design Bundles.
Leave a Reply